/etc/hosts and /usr/etc/resolv.conf

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Sat May 11 13:31:47 AEST 1991

rob at mother.bates.edu (Rob Spellman) writes:

>Should I keep this entry for 'localhost' in my nameserver?  It seems
>to be a kludge.

We have a "localhost IN A 127.0.0.1" record in each of our domains.  Seems
like a reasonably klug thing to do.

>Is there some way to tell the workstation to first
>look in /etc/hosts before trying the nameserver?

Yes, at least in 3.3 there is: make an entry in your resolv.conf:
	"hostresorder local bind"
(remove the quotes).  Check the resolver(4) man page on your system for
details.  I can't remember if 3.2 had this keyword or not.

	- Scott
--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet