Setting up windows on login

David S. Browning browning at nas.nasa.gov
Wed May 1 18:11:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991May1.024109.26761 at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> dwagon at monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Zer Dwagon) writes:

   The way I do it is to have in my .login something like the following:

   if( ${OPSYS} == "irix" ) then
	   if( `tty` == "/dev/console" ) then
		   wsh -f Screen10 -m 140,67 -p 10,10 -E -s 80,63 -t SGI -c /edp/edp/edp328j/bin.irix/tcsh
		   wsh -f Screen10 -v -m 140,67 -p 695,350 -E -s 67,40 -t Pyramid -c /usr/bsd/rlogin monu6
		   wsh -f Screen10 -m 140,67 -p 695,10 -E -s 67,20 -t SGI -c /edp/edp/edp328j/bin.irix/tcsh
	   endif
   endif

   which checks to see that I am logged into the console, and then forks off
   three windows, and runs the shells I like in each of them, including rloging
   into our main machine here.

   Hope that helps.

Umm, shouldn't this be done in user.ps?

There's a related question:  Once you've layed (lied?) out your
windows, it would be nice to save the layout (e.g. sizes, positions,
fonts) in a way that could be used again upon startup.  Something like
"tooplaces > ~/.suntools" on a Sun before X.  With X, at least you
have "xwininfo" which gives you position info, which you can then
transcribe to the appropriate startup file.  NeWS on the IRIS has no
such analog that I know of.  (I've asked about this before on
comp.sys.sgi.)  There's no way to get position info from a window that
you've moved by hand with the mouse.  I find this a serious
shortcoming, making customization painful. (Until it's finally right!)

I CANNOT WAIT until X runs fast enough on this IRIS (4D/60, IRIX 3.3).

David

--
| Internet:  browning at nas.nasa.gov                  Phone:  (415) 604-4321   |