Internet usage

Bruce Stewart bstewart at bnlux1.bnl.gov
Fri May 17 03:26:10 AEST 1991

In article <1991May15.200159.19891 at cs.dal.ca> silvert%biome at cs.dal.ca writes:

>Your final comment about using email is valid, but apparently that
>violates the noncommercial constraints.  Pity.
>--

Many forward-thinking vendors, including SGI, will use email
communication with their customers on a selective basis. It
would probably not be a good idea to attempt to codify when
this is acceptable practice, because codification would probably
encourage a restrictive view. Certainly the submission by email of
moderate-sized test cases for bug reports is one example of
accepted practice.

Certain vendors, including the world's largest, seem to virtually
exclude use of the Internet from their operations. I find this
approach very surprising. IMHO this approach is more a matter
of corporate culture than rational decision.