mklv(1M) help on 3.3.1

Jeremy Higdon jeremy at perf2.asd.sgi.com
Tue May 14 10:21:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991May13.084225 at hiatus.zko.dec.com>, kevin at hiatus.zko.dec.com (Kevin D. Baranski-Walker) writes:
> --
> I'm desparately attempting to extend my /usr partition:
>
> 	1) mkfs new disk /dev/dsk/dks0d4s7 (the whole efs disk)
> 	2) create /etc/lvtab;
>
> 	 	lv1:extended-usr-partition:stripes=2:devs= \
> 			/dev/dsk/dks0d1s6, /dev/dsk/dks0d4s7
>
> 	3) take the system down to single user
> 	4) mklv lv1;
> 		and I get <INCORRECT PARTITION SIZE> for /dev/dsk/dks0d4s7
>

> What am I missing?  Can is it legal to make a lv from a 'live' partition (i.e.,
> /usr)?

You can not extend an older filesystem with striping.  Also, striped
partitions must be the same size.  In the above example, you would have
to make sure that dks0d1s6 and dks0d4s7 were the same size.  But since
it appears you want to extend an already existing filesystem, you should
remove the ":stripes=2" field, and then everything should work.
Remember, after the
	mklv lv1
execute
	growfs /dev/dsk/lv1
to extend your older filesystem onto the new disk.