C compiler question

David B.Anderson davea at quasar.wpd.sgi.com
Sat May 4 06:10:51 AEST 1991

In article <48295 at ut-emx.uucp> dboles at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) writes:
>I am having a problem with the MIPS C compiler.  When I compile,
>I use the command cc -acpp -prototypes -p0.  The p0 is there because
>the C compiler seems to get confused and generates profiling info.
>The main problem is that the -prototype option doesn't work correctly.

The key is spelling:
	-prototype
is taken as -p  (Link with the profiling startup and library).
	-prototypes
is taken to mean ``check prototypes''.

That -prototype is silently interpreted as -p is a bug.

The release 4.0 driver says about -prototype
	cc: Error: malformed or unknown option -prototype

Regards,
[ David B. Anderson  Silicon Graphics  (415)335-1548  davea at sgi.com ]
[``What could possibly go wrong?''                      --Calvin
 `` Whenever you ask that, my tail gets all bushy.''    --Hobbes    ]