Experiences with Video Framer/Video Creator ?

Jay G. Horowitz xxjgh at dali.lerc.nasa.gov
Thu May 2 23:46:50 AEST 1991

>>In article <8848 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> gianulis at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brad Gianulis) writes:
>>>
>>>We've been getting this "ghosting" or "echoing" or "looping"
>>>or whatever you call it, where it looks like there is a duplication of the
>>>video signal shifted to the right about 10 pixels and fainter.
>>

>---------- NEWS FLASH -----------
>
>Just in. The local SGI FE set up a VC in their office, saw the same "ghosting"
>effects and said "that's as good as it gets", but they are going to try out yet
>another VC box.
>
>- Brad Gianulis, ICGL
>  Princeton U.

Our Video Creator apparently is not haunted by the same ghosts as yours
and SGI's so don't settle for 'That's as good as it gets'. While the
VC may not be the best scan-converter, its really not as bad as your
experience would lead you to judge it. Like my colleague (William Krauss)
said in a previous response to your problem, I would suggest you keep searching
for mismatched terminations or bad shielding both *INSIDE* and outside your
SGI. We had several problems associated with improperly terminated connections
on the SYNC line that genlocks all our computer/video equipment. That was
a tough one because the mismatch was not near the SGI and only the VC had
problems.

With respect to the quality of the VC image, we have an SGI (120 GTX)
with the 'little-window-in-the-left-&-can't-watch-video-and-use-your-
monitor-at-the-same-time' genlock board, an SGI (320 VGX) with the VC, and
an outboard Lyon-Lamb RTC-7 converter which intercepts and converts the
video from both Iri. While we haven't had a chance to do a complete set
of quantitative tests, the video from the VC is superior to the GENLOCK
board and not as good as that from the Lyon-Lamb (which costs quite a bit
more).

P.S. - We have had previous problems with the VC and have had the board
replaced at least once. Maybe you should insist on testing a replacement
just to be sure the problem is not on that particular board.

P.P.S - Don't use that SGI FE's board.

  Jay G. Horowitz                    "For the finest in kosher pixels!"
  NASA Lewis Research Center
  (216) 433-5194                    xxjgh at dali.lerc.nasa.gov (128.156.1.48)