Exabyte Problem

Dave Cunningham cunning at iscnvx.uucp
Fri May 3 14:33:24 AEST 1991

I recently inherited an Exabyte drive from a defunct sun site, and I
am trying to attach it to an Iris. (4D-20, 3.3.2).  I am using a cable
originally intended to connect a Sun 3 to a disk with a
centronics-style scsi connector.  In this case the centronics-style
end is on the Iris, and the Sun-style 50 pin D at the Exabyte.  The
Exabyte is in an Andataco enclosure, with internal termination.

Once the system is up and running, everything seems to work.  I can read
and write tapes, position to eom, etc. with no indication of problems
in SYSLOG.  I get a failure every time the Iris runs its power-up diags,
however.

The messages are something like

	SC0: Unexpected Transfer Phase, State 4B Phase 31
	scsi(0,7,0) transfer aborted (hardware error)
	Device 7 failed DMA test

    Press return to continue...

Once I continue, everthing seems fine.

I suspect that the Iris is attempting a test on the Exabyte while it
is still running its own internal diagnostics in response to a reset
when the Iris starts its power-up sequence.

Anyone have any comparable experience or advice ?  I have all the
Exabyte rev levels and prom codes if that is an issue.  I've set the
switches on the MX board to 1-4 up, 5-6 down as per Dave Olsen's
posting of 1/12/91.

Thanks in advance,

#include  <standard_disclaimer.h>

Dave Cunningham				cunning at arthur.msd.lmsc.lockheed.com