Just how fast are these things, anyway?

Tom Paquin paquin at kahua.esd.sgi.com
Sat May 4 03:36:19 AEST 1991

In article <558 at rosie.NeXT.COM>, daves at martha (Dave Springer) writes:
|> When I say "how fast" I mean how many 10-pixel marketing lines can
|> you _really_ get from a client app to the screen
|> Obviously I can get some numbers from the marketing
|> literature, but I get enough lies as it is.

My experience is that numbers which come out of SGI marketing
are reproducible on a typical machine.  Of course, running
makes and several GL apps simultaneously will trash a benchmark.
But it doesn't take odd configurations, special software, or
eye of newt in the dead of night to get published numbers
from an Iris 4D.  Carefully writing a simple C test should do it.

--

		-Tom
*****