Distributed GL graphics via high speed networks...

William Krauss tttron at escher.lerc.nasa.gov
Tue May 14 05:10:50 AEST 1991

I recently discovered a new "feature" of the SGI Distributed Graphics
Library (DGL) daemon running under Irix 3.3.2 (resides on the server Iris).
It seems as though it doesn't recognize the userid from the CLIENT machine
when the userid's are DIFFERENT (such as CALVIN on a client Cray and HOBBES
on the server Iris).

The userid is typically specified with the environment variable REMOTEUSER on
the client side (e.g. setenv REMOTEUSER CALVIN).  The only way I remedied this
problem was to use the older version of the "dgld" (3.3.1).  By the way,
.rhosts, etc. are all set up correctly (all works fine with the OLD daemon).

Any comments from the SGI think-tankers?

In other late-breaking news, I am using DGL from various platforms (Crays,
Convex). I am also using the DGL with an UltraNet high-speed network.

Questions:      1) How many others out there are using the DGL??

                2) Anyone else using UltraNet with or WITHOUT the DGL
                   (including their frame buffer, etc)?  If "yes" then
                   how are you using it?

Thanks in advance (e-mail okay).

-William