novice trys to set up PI

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Thu May 16 06:01:59 AEST 1991

In article <2B9CF1DBA0009B66 at MSUS1.MSUS.EDU> TKIRKMAN%MOE at MSUS1.MSUS.EDU (Tom Kirkman) writes:
>I have had three problems with the workspace tools: (1) no support
>for group id's in the sysmgr tool [in fact the tool uses a default
>group id [25?] that the manual says is reserved--I have not found
>how to change the default]...

I heartily echo this.  It is an omission that severly limits the utility
of an excellent tool (you can change the default group with the command
line sysadmin program, but you cannot assign a different group from
within the menu program).

>I think the hotline has been the most frustrating part of my PI
>experience.  The main problem is that it is SLOW at best and
>frequently totally without response.

I also find it frustrating, but I am finding support lines for all
computer products pretty awful.  If I get an answer it is usually wrong.
The only fast reliable source of product info is usually Usenet!

Your final comment about using email is valid, but apparently that
violates the noncommercial constraints.  Pity.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
BITNET=silvert%biome%dalcs at dalac	InterNet=silvert%biome at cs.dal.ca