disappearing text?

James P. Loan loan at neon.Stanford.EDU
Wed May 8 05:33:49 AEST 1991

In article <1171 at gistdev.gist.com> dan at gistdev.gist.com (Dan Schreiber) writes:

>	I'm having a very strange problem with printing out text strings
>to a graphics window.  The problem is that part of a text string is
>missing, or sometimes the whole string, after drawing the window.  It happens
>rarely enough to be non-reproducible, but often enough to be concerned about
>it.

(more problem description)

>	I realize that my description of the problem is very sketchy, but
>it happens so randomly that I can't be any more specific.  I'm posting this
>in the hope that someone has seen a problem like this before and can at
>least point me in some direction, because I'm baffled!
>
>	I'm using a PI, 3.3.1

Excuse the me-tooism, but I thought I should mention that I have been
having *exactly* the same problem, also on a PI (3.3.1). This should
confirm that it's not some pipe-dream that Dan Schreiber is having, and
that it's not a problem specific to his code. I do admit, however, that it
could be due to a "misuse" of some GL routine that he and I both use.
I did check the strings that I was displaying with fmprstr(), and they
do not get clobbered by some wild pointer before they are displayed. I
didn't think that was a real possibility anyway, though, because as Dan
says, the next redraw displays the string correctly (but may goober another
one). The only other symptom I can add is that the problem is more likely
to happen when I am running the graphics program within dbx, and when I
am alternating between drawing a 2D window with text (using fmprstr())
and a 3D window with lots of lighted, z-buffered polygons.

thanks in advance
pete loan

loan at neon.stanford.edu