Emacs key-binding

Ian Graham igraham at SMAUG.PHYSICS.MCGILL.CA
Thu May 2 07:29:07 AEST 1991

Hi,

At the request of a user I recently installed emacs on our Irises, both
the ordinary terminal version and an X version.   These work fine, but
the person doing most of the fiddling with it wants to do key binding to
make the whole thing more convenient:   In his case he wants to do
key binding on the IRIS keyboard -- In particular he wants to bind things
like the page-down key, arrow keys, insert, delete, etc  to their obvious
functions.  The problem is -- no-one here knows how to do it, either within
emacs or X.  It is not clear to me whether some of this should be done
in X when running an X-version of emacs (we are running 4-Sight, not X,
so by this I mean that xemacs just pops an X-window under 4-Sight -- does
this mean that X remaps the keyboard just for this window?)

Basically, there seem to me to be 3 ways to remap keys, none of which I
know how to do (having had no need):

    1)  NeWS  -- fiddle something in user.ps   (I don't know how to do this)
    2)  X11   -- fiddle something in .xinitrc? (I don't know how to do this)
    3)  emacs -- fiddle something else         ("   "    "    "   "  "   " )

I also don't know how they interact with each other -- i.e. does emacs
remapping remap on top of a NeWS/X remapping, etc?  And for our case which
remapping should we be doing, and how?

(If) these are stupid questions, please tell me/him where to RTFM -- I
have tried wading through some of this stuff, to no avail,  and the
student playing with emacs has only indirect access to the IRIS manuals.

Thanks for all help,

Ian