No subject

Paul Jackson pj at sam.wpd.sgi.com
Fri May 31 02:33:54 AEST 1991

In article <9105292107.AA14505 at gsusgi1.gsu.edu>, syscrc at GSUSGI1.GSU.EDU (Randy Carpenter) writes:
|> Every once in a while, one of the find commands in the standard
|> SGI root cron entry apparently mails root a message like the following:
|>
|>   find: stat() failed: /tmp/croutPSJa00177: No such file or directory
|>
|> Does anyone know what's happening?

The find command uses opendir/readdir to discover the names in
a directory, then issues a stat call on each apparent name.

It happens occassionally that the filename seen in the readdir
call is unlinked before find has a chance to do the stat,
leading to this error message.

If you see these messages only once in a while, and with
filenames that are likely temporary names anyway, then no sweat.

If you saw a whole bunch of these error messages, with filenames
that should still be valid, then (speaking from theory, not
experience - I've never seen this) it would be time to unmount
the file system containing these files and fsck it.

--

				I won't rest till it's the best ...
				Software Production Engineer