Problem with rn

Don McCormick damc at dap.csiro.au
Thu May 16 13:19:49 AEST 1991

I have compiled and installed rn on our 4D/220 machine as a news client
to a SUN file server.

When the rn command is run it takes up to 25 seconds before any newsgroup
can be read (approx 6 seconds on BSD machines), this can be quite anoying
when using the rn -c command in a .login file as it slows down the login
process.

Reading of news articles using rn is not a problem, but if you try to
reply to an article or save an article on some occasions you can drop
out of rn with the error.

	"Unexpected close of server socket"

I have compiled rn and inews using the flag -D_BSD_COMPAT but still get the
same intermittent problem.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Don McCormick,			    *   PHONE: + 61 2 413 7751
CSIRO Division of Applied Physics,  *   ARPA:  damc at dap.csiro.au
PO Box 218,			    *   ACSNET: damc at natmlab.dap.oz
Lindfield, NSW, 2070.		    *   UUCP: .....!uunet!dap.csiro.au!damc
Australia.			    *