comp.sci.sgi & info-iris

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Fri May 3 06:39:46 AEST 1991

In article <JIM.91May2100213 at baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:

>Personally, I wish mailing lists would go away and die.  Messages
>posted via mailing lists lack the niceties that news provides such as
>including reference numbers for thread sorting and traversing.  Now
>that NNTP has reduced news propagation delays, mailing lists have
>little reason to exist.

Sorry, I couldn't let this one go by.  Fortunately, I have access to a large
site that has enough system administrators to maintain the news software and
enough disk space to store the news.  Many of us out there do not.  For those
of us, mailing lists are a low-overhead method of receiving this information.
Furthermore, many mailing lists are of low enough volume that it doesn't make
sense to make usenet groups out of them.  Info-iris is of course an exception.

I prefer to read info-iris as a newsgroup, but I'd hate to see mailing lists
go away, because I'd hate to have to manage news on my own machine.  I've
been there in the past, and it's a bore.

	-P.

Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***