ioctl

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Thu May 23 00:38:44 AEST 1991

In article <1991May21.224750.535 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> acl3k at agate.cs.Virginia.EDU (Allan Christian Long) writes:

>	if (ioctl(trackerPtr->fileDescriptor, FIONREAD, &charsToRead) < 0)
>
>The first parameter is a file descriptor and the third is a pointer to
>a long.  FIONREAD is a parameter from the termio.h file.  I have RTFM'ed
>until I'm blue in the face, but I can't find FIONREAD mentioned anywhere
>in any of the manuals.  The SunOS manual has a page on "filio" that
>describes this parameter, but there is no filio page for IRIX.

On my PI with Irix 3.3.1 the value of FIONREAD is defined in
sys/ioctl.h, not in sys/termio.h -- termio.h  defines oFIONREAD, but you
need to look at ioctl.h and figure out the cryptic low-level code there
to get the value of FIONREAD.

As a general rule, I find that grepping my way through /usr/include and
/usr/include/sys is the best way to solve these header problems.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
BITNET=silvert%biome%dalcs at dalac	InterNet=silvert%biome at cs.dal.ca