< Connecting Fujitsu M2266SA to SGI SCSI (SOLVED) >

j chapman flack chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us
Wed May 22 14:01:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991May15.001955.4146 at corpane.uucp> herman at corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:
>We purchased a disk drive once that was willing to do synchronous
>SCSI, but since the controller was not willing to do it, we had to
>jumper it off.  I also do not know if you can do both synchronous
>and asynchronous SCSI on the same cable or not.  If not, then all
>drives on the cable AND the controller would have to be willing to
>do synchronous SCSI.

Did the drive actually not work until you disabled synchronous negotiation?
If so, that sounds like a bug.  Sync. negotiation, as I understand it, is
exactly as it sounds: the first time two devices (say, a disk and a host
adapter) talk to each other after a reset, they discuss whether they're both
willing to do synchronous, and how big a sliding window each is willing to
support.  If they decide they don't wanna do sync, they do async.  There
shouldn't be any problem with sync and async on the same bus--art-sy is
humming away that way just fine...
--
Chap Flack                         Their tanks will rust.  Our songs will last.
chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us                                    -MIKHS 0EODWPAKHS

Nothing I say represents Appropriate Roles for Technology unless I say it does.