slow boot-time fsck -y -D, invoked by mount(!)

Apcah2 Super-User root at apcah2.Eng.McMaster.CA
Mon Feb 1 19:38:08 AEST 2016

In article <74515 at sgi.sgi.com> daveh at xtenk.asd.sgi.com (David A Higgen) writes:
>> In article <73531 at sgi.sgi.com> daveh at xtenk.asd.sgi.com (David A Higgen) writes:
>> >I'm currently in the midst of a major overhaul of fsck which will appear
>> >in the next release. I've been able to make a speed improvement of a factor
>> >2 to 2.5 in the program itself, and there will be logic added to do
>> >parallel fsck's during bootup.
>>
>> How about a -p option, instead of -y?  Is there a good reason to have fsck
>> run with -y always?
[ ... chop chop ...]
>Yes, a -p type option will be available. Unlike BSD, this will NOT be
>hardwired to parallel behaviour (a rotton design decision, IMHO), but will
>be an independant option.

I thought the -p meant "preen", and the parallelism was invoked through
careful arrangement of the fsck pass number in /etc/fstab.  In any case
I'm glad to see the -p option.

>We will probably still ship systems with -y behaviour by default, the reason
>being that for the non-UNIX-experienced, you want the system to just
>COME UP, not require cryptic messing with some scary fsck-thing!
>
>But -p type behaviour will be available for those who want it.

Sounds reasonable to me.  The more choice I have the better (and the more
work I have to do :-(

E. John Benjamins                                      BITNET: JOHNB at MCMASTER
Computer and Information Services,     Internet: johnb at sscvax.cis.mcmaster.ca
ABB 131, McMaster University,
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada    "You can't chop down a symmetry" -- Jane Siberry