Sun-Spots Digest, v6n58

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Apr 20 08:22:10 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 19 April 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 58

Today's Topics:
                       Re: Two Displays on a 3/60FC
                      Re: Bug in SUNlink X.25 (CUDF)
                   Re: NEC Silentwriter LC-890 "RS-232"
                             More disk noise
        Information about thinwire Ethernet (long but informative)
                      SCSI as a general purpose bus?
                     meaning of disk error messages?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Mon, 11 Apr 88 22:38:07 PDT
From:    Doug Moran <moran at ai.sri.com>
Subject: Re: Two Displays on a 3/60FC
Reference: v6n51, v6n39

In v6n51, there were two replies stating that it was easy to add a
monochrome monitor to a Sun-3/60FC.  My information from Sun is that this
was possible on Sun-3/60FC's (and 3/60C's) shipped in 1987 and maybe the
first part of 1988.  However, since then Sun has supposedly stopped
populating the monochrome video memory section on 3/60 boards going into
non-monochrome systems (3/60S's, 3/60C's and 3/60FC's).  Consequently,
simply adding a monochrome monitor will not work for more recently
delivered 3/60s.

Aside: I have talked to various representatives of Sun on multiple
occasions about the desirability of having "two-headed monsters" in a
range of applications.  Each time, I have been told that Sun is not
interested in supporting such configurations as options and been told the
usual caveat -- that while it may be be possible at that time to make such
additions, Sun will not make any commitment that future systems will
support that capability, even systems ordered at that moment.  However,
the decision to stop populating the monochrome video memory is the first
instance I know of where such has actually happened.

Doug Moran
AI Center, SRI International