Sun-Spots Digest, v6n161

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu Aug 4 07:26:44 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Monday, 1 August 1988        Volume 6 : Issue 161

Today's Topics:
                               Re: Sun OS
                  Re: SunOS source licenses (academic)
               Re: Level 2 interrupt problems (for SunIPC)
                   SUN-monitor tips (Mfd by 'Moniterm')
                  Problems with Fujitsu M244X tape drive
                   Problem with lockd and statd on 4.0.
                 minor problem logging in to Suns via DNI
                               gcc question
                     Sun OS 4.0 Source Distributions?
                         sunlink/DNA & printers?
                     Microsoft Windows and the 386i?
                           troff to postscript?
                  Public Domain Franz Lisp on SunOS 4.0?
                Wanted: Third-party disk info for Sun 3/60

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Wed, 20 Jul 88 15:36:16 PDT
From:    cire at clash.cisco.com
Subject: Re: Sun OS

> From: doug at icase.arpa (Doug Peterson)
>
> It strikes me that the time is near for such individuals to converge
> and produce the Berkeley equivalent of an OS for a distributed
> computing system....

This is exactly one of the reasons that Stallman is doing GNU.

-c
cire|eric
Eric B. Decker
cire at clash.cisco.com

[[ And don't forget CMU's "mach" project:  a distributed Unix, as I
recall.  Is GNU going to be built on a message passing kernel (a *true*
kernel as opposed to that thing in Unix graciously termed "the kernel") a
la "V"?  I understand that that is the current trend in distributed OS
research.  --wnl ]]