Sun-Spots Digest, v6n185

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Tue Aug 16 15:16:20 AEST 1988

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
for more information.

Date:    Mon, 8 Aug 88 22:35:33 EST
From:    munnari!cluster.cs.su.oz.au!rex at uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Security hole in RCP/REX software (on program)

In v6n164 lee at unmvax.unm.edu (Lee Ward) points out why he thinks the
following is incorrect.
>>From:    munnari!cluster.cs.su.oz.au!rex at uunet.uu.net
>>
>>In v6n130 purtilo at flubber.cs.umd.edu (Jim Purtilo) said that root access
>>was necessary for this hole to be exploited.  Actually, any user can
>>exploit this hole. It requires a simple patch to a copy of /usr/bin/on...
						     ^^^^
>>requires NO root privileges (/usr/bin/on is publically readable as are
>>most binaries...
>
>In order to "patch" a file write access OR root is needed.
>
>        --Lee

This would be true, you would need write access, or root privileges IF the
program uses root privileges. The "on" program is an example of an all too
common problem with network machines. The host side is the privileged side
whilst the client side is unprivileged.  The daemon on the host that you
are connecting to is created by /etc/inetd and as such can change to your
uid. The client side (/usr/bin/on) is totally unprivileged. (On our system
it is mode 755). You can therefore, copy the client side and patch the
COPY, not the original.

	- Rex.