Sun-Spots Digest, v6n169

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Mon Aug 8 15:19:28 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Friday, 5 August 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 169

Today's Topics:
             Re: pclans RFC (& sun's & appletalk & kinetics)
                            Re: NeWS Question
                  Re: file `which which` mystery solved
                     Re: Suntools startup bug/feature
                        New version of "psraster"
                    Followup on my previous bug report
                 script for checking file system fullness
                        A 'pick-proof' lockscreen
          Information on 8MM Backup devices on Sun 3/280 Systems
              Neurocomputing software/hardware for Sun 3's?
                          Format of a ".o" file?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    27 Jul 88 03:09:44 GMT
From:    stpstn!aad at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Anthony A. Datri)
Subject: Re: pclans RFC (& sun's & appletalk & kinetics)

In article <1179 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob at cortex.neuro.bcm.tmc.edu writes:
>on top of Novell and 3+ as well. If you are looking for a TCP/IP-based
>solution, only PC/NFS (of the ones you mentioned) will do. TOPS and Novell
>are both based on vendor-specific protocols. Novell has available a
>TCP/IP gateway that allows ftp and telnet (no SMTP, though). TOPS has
>a SUN implementation that allows a SUN to "bridge the gap", but it
>not a gateway.

Now, I haven't researched it fully yet, but the latest information I've
seen on TOPS from Sun claims that it "does" TCP/IP -- telnet, ftp, ...
from macintoshes to the sun, at least.  Of course, it's possible that what
that really means is "co-exists and is bundled with" TCP/IP.  After seeing
a couple of Novell networks, I'm less than impressed with them.  We've got
one here that runs over "Gnet", which I've *never* heard of before.  The
sun propaganda also said, I think, that if you have TOPS running on a Sun,
then remote TOPS's can get to files that the Sun has NFS mounted.  I may
have mis-interpretted this, but if it's true, that's something that NFS
itself can't do.

I'm getting into this because we've got a dozen or so macintoshes and two
laserwriters, and I'm tired of plugging my terminal line into a mac every
time someone wants a file transferred, not to mention the two laserwriters
on the appletalk I'd love to print to from the suns.  It seems obvious to
me that the hardware answer is a kinetics box, but there's a lot of
software out there.  As I remember, the kinetics box comes with tcp/ip to
run in the box, and telnet and ftp programs for the macintosh.  TOPS (not
to be confused with tops-20, sadly) and/or K-talk (?) seem to solve the
file-transfer and printing issues, but one thing i haven't seen yet is a
product that lets the macintoshes send real mail, ie., rfc822, to the suns
(and beyond).

Any advice?
--
Anthony A. Datri,SysAdmin,StepstoneCorporation,stpstn!aad