lpd problem with Apple LaserWriter

quirk at hubcap.clemson.edu quirk at hubcap.clemson.edu
Sat Dec 3 08:33:52 AEST 1988

We have a couple of Apple LaserWriters attached to Sun 3 servers.
Periodically the daemon gets "hung" and the jobs just sit in the queue.
The first job in the queue is flagged as "active".  The status is of the
printer is "ready and printing" and the daemon is still present.  The only
fix seems to be to "abort" and "start" the daemon.  The "restart" command
doesn't do it.  This never seems to happen with the line printer but
happens far too often with the LaserWriters.  I was hoping going to
Release 4.0 would fix things, but it hasn't.  Can anyone offer any insight
into this problem?

Chris Reynolds                   uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!quirk
CS Dept, Clemson University      domain: quirk at hubcap.clemson.edu
phone: (803)656-{2639,3444}