Sun-Spots Digest, v6n20

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Mon Feb 29 04:45:55 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST       Wednesday, 24 February 1988     Volume 6 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
             Corrected machine name and problems with "atrun"
                          Re: 800 bpi tape drive
             Re: Lisp vs. C Floating Point Performance (Suns)
                             Re: sun-4 bcopy
           Want to buy Motorola manuals?  You can order direct!
                           Cheap(?) SCSI drives
                    More on NFS timeouts between Suns
                             Various problems
                     Mysterious ethernet misbehavior
                      Simulation package info wanted
                  Looking for sun TeX implementation(s)
                        nfsd problems/performance?
                      Availability of Used SUN-3's?
                       Alternate Pascal Compilers?
         Artecon - Sun Clones - Has anyone experience with them?
                            DEC LAT protocol?
                        Scanned image into a SUN?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
Recent backissues are stored on "titan.rice.edu".  For volume X, issue Y,
"get sun-spots/vXnY".  They are also accessible through the archive
server:  mail the word "help" to "archive-server at rice.edu".

Date:    Thu, 25 Feb 88 10:19:10 CST
From:    William LeFebvre <phil at Rice.edu>
Subject: Corrected machine name and problems with "atrun"

In a recent article about C++ (v6n16), one of the machines at MIT was
referred to with an incorrect name:  AI.PREP.EDU should really be
prep.ai.mit.edu.  Sorry about that.

Also, I have heard through the grapevine (no, not the one at Xerox) that
/usr/lib/atrun is broken in both SunOS 3.5 and Sun4's sys4-3.2FCS.  The
problem is caused by a change to sprintf which brings it more in line with
the ANSI standard, but also removes an undocumented "feature" that atrun
uses.  For Sun3's, the fix is simple---use the atrun from 3.4.  Those with
Sun4's are out of luck on this one until 4.0 is distributed.  Sun is now
aware of the bug and will have it fixed in future releases.

How many people really use "at" anyway?

			William LeFebvre