Sun-Spots Digest, v6n127

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Fri Jul 1 06:40:10 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Thursday, 30 June 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 127

Today's Topics:
                     Re: Problems with SUN-Link X.25
            Re: 68881 floating-point coprocessor in sun 3/50
            Re: Displaying characters above ASCII 127 on a Sun
                              386i Beta 4.0
                             SunOS 4.0 & sed
                             4.0's suninstall
                        More info about REELbackup
         Need info on the 386i - the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
             Looking for a Computer Managed Discussion Forum
                          audit messages in 4.0?
                   Books about C programming standards?
                          VxWorks and dbxworks?
                        dump to remote tape drive?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 21 Jun 88 08:30:33 +0100
From:    Julian Onions <jpo%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Problems with SUN-Link X.25

We too, in the U.K. have had many running battles with the SUN-LINK X.25
software. It seems fine as long as you want to use it for occasional
things and don't want to do anything much with it. As soon as you start
using it in anger the bugs come trickling out. A colleague of mine
discovered 6 major bugs in the software whilst writing an x29 server - one
of which crashed the system very reliably. Anyway, I think sun know about
most of these problems and they should be fixed in later versions of the
software with a bit of luck. (Though it looks like the end of the year
before a version that runs with 4.0 will be available :-(.)

However, for those of us that depend for our lives on X.25 (such as us
U.K. folks) and require pad programs etc. to perform in a similar manner
to telnet and rlogin (i.e. transparently for the most part) there is some
hope. Due to the large disatisfaction with the sun products, I know of (or
in some cases have written) the following software which is all freely
available in source form. (Of course you get what you pay for... :-))

	1. A pad program that knocks the spots off the sun supplied one.
	   It will allow calls over TCP/IP and then out onto X.25 so
	   allowing access to X.25 for all hosts on the LAN without
	   gratuitously giving away accounts on gateway machines. It
	   also handles parameters reasonably and generally provides
	   much greater functionality.
	2. An X.29 server which does the same sort of thing for
	   incoming calls.  The config file is much extended and allows
	   many options for incoming calls, subject to bugs in the
	   kernel that is.
	3. Some kernel code and a user level daemon that routes IP over
	   X.25 whilst trying hard to keep the X.25 call open only
	   whilst there is a need for it. This saves MegaBucks over PSS
	   and similar chargeable networks.

Just to complete the story, there are also the following publicly
available products that run over X.25 which may be of interest.
	unix-niftp - blue book file transfer program (probably U.K. specific)
	isode - the ISO developement environment, which includes an FTAM
		implementation which has transfered many Mb over X.25.

If you are interested in any of these things I can give more details on
getting such things or I can submit some of the smaller items to the
sunspots archive.

Julian.