Sun-Spots Digest, v6n137

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Fri Jul 15 03:03:05 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Wednesday, 13 July 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 137

Today's Topics:
              Re: Deliver mail to receiver's login directory
                    Re: max filesystem size under 4.0
                             more 4.0 follies
                                 security
                               Calctool fix
                           Upgrade poll results
             Comments and questions about Suntools under 4.0
                             Sun IPC question
                     graphical SunView panel editor?
                    Course schedule for SUN Training?
            documentation for the Sun Macro Package tmac.sun?
             is the 386i fully source compatible with Sun-3s?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Sat, 2 Jul 88 14:51:39 BST
From:    Andrew Findlay <Andrew.Findlay%brunel.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Deliver mail to receiver's login directory
Reference: v6n120

In Sun-Spots digest v6n120, Howard Gayle suggets putting mail in user
login directories.

At Brunel University (UK) we do exactly that. Mail is delivered into a
file called '.mailbox', by a program that understands the odd things that
might happen to soft-mounted NFS filesystems. We use modified versions of
elm and Mail (which also supports mailtool). There is a new
mail-notification service to make sure that users get told about arriving
mail even if they are not logged on to the machine doing the delivery.

The home-directory mail system is now running on two Pyramids and a number
of Suns at Brunel.

If there is sufficient interest, I can supply source for the delivery and
notification programs. The modifications to Mail and elm may be more
difficult, as Sun source code is required to recompile Mail and our
version of elm is now out of date. I am about to start work on elm version
1.7, so in due course I should be able to supply diffs.

Andrew

Andrew Findlay at Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK
Andrew.Findlay at brunel.ac.uk          phone: +44 895 74000 x2512