Sun-Spots Digest, v6n152

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Fri Jul 29 01:45:52 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 26 July 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 152

Today's Topics:
         Re: getting ethernet address of a physical interface (2)
                 Re: New 386i comes with root passworded
                           Re: Ringing the bell
                    Re: postscript printers under 4.0
                         Re: Revenge of the 68881
           Re: getting ethernet address of a physical interface
                Re: "My Mac can do it, why can't the Sun?"
                              calentool bug
                     892MB disks shudder during fsck
                  Problem Connecting a Printer to a Sun
                          386i dvitool problems
                      Sun Monitor Extension Cables?
                            tftpboot programs?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 14 Jul 88 10:35:10 EDT
From:    Charlie C. Kim <cck at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: getting ethernet address of a physical interface (1)
Reference: v6n136

The question was how do you get the ethernet address of a physical
interface.  The only viable solution is not pretty.

One response suggested searching the /etc/ethers-yp databases with
"ethers" routines.  This is a workable, but ugly solution.  In particular,
don't really want to deal with putting the ethernet address in
yp-/etc/ethers unless it is absolutely necessary.

One response suggested looking through the arp table (e.g. arp -a);
however, the ethernet address(es) of a system's interfaces are not
generally in it's own arp table.

Another idea, assuming you are using NIT, is to push out a packet and pick
up the ethernet address from the packet (a very very ugly idea).

So, it seems that the only solution that works generally is to scan the
ifnet list to find the proper interface.  This should work on most 4.x
based machines.  Drew Perkins at CMU sent me the details so I didn't have
to figure them out.

There are two data structures of relevance.  In side the "softc" for each
ethernet driver, arpcom (if_ether.h) is defined for the generic ethernet
characteristics.  arpcom contains the ethernet hardware address and a
ifnet structure (if.h - important to note that the ifnet structure is
first in arpcom).  The ifnet structure, for our purposes, contains the
device name and unit number.

When you "attach" an ethernet interface, the ifnet structure in arpcom is
passed down to the if module and linked into the "ifnet" list.  But this
actually results in a list of arpcom structures (for the active
interfaces).  Given this, it is trivial to scan the ifnet list to find the
ethernet addresses of particular (ones or groups of) interfaces:

	struct ifnet *pif;
	for (pif=ifnet; pif != NULL; pif = pif->if_next)
	  if (wanted_interface(pif->if_name, pif->if_unit) {
	    struct arpcom *ac = pif;  /* yes, coerce */
	    wanted_etheraddr_is(ac->ac_enaddr);
	  }

Of course, this assumes you can read the kernel memory space.  I was
afraid this was going to be the "best" solution--I much prefer solutions
that go through well defined interfaces like an ioctl as done in Ultrix.
Sun should define an ioctl or equivalent mechanism to allow one to do
this!

To reiterate, while in most cases, one should not be worrying about the
particular ethernet address of a physical interface, there ARE good
reasons for wanting to do so in some very special cases (for instance
network management and dealing with protocols not in the kernel).

Charlie C. Kim
User Services
Columbia University