Sun-Spots Digest, v6n156

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Sat Jul 30 02:44:11 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Wednesday, 27 July 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 156

Today's Topics:
                      Re: malloc() - free() problems
     Re: What means "-From hostname (sendmail)" in the process status
                       Re:  Sun - IBM tape transfer
                         Misery loves company...
                          tools dying in general
                  PC-NFS rev 3.0 not much beter than 2.0
                need help compiling emacs on Sun 3 OS 4.0
                   Differences between Sun and Apollo?
     Franz Inc. makes available Allegro CL/GNU Emacs Interface (LONG)

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Fri, 15 Jul 88 19:34:55 EDT
From:    Root Boy Jim <rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov>
Subject: Re: malloc() - free() problems

> From:    unido!bilbo.irb!tb at uunet.uu.net (Torsten Beyer)

> I have a little c-program which malloc()s 10 Mb, free()s these 10Mb,
> malloc()s another 10Mb and then waits for a key to be hit. If I do a ps
> aux on another terminal at this stage, ps tells me that my program has
> allocated 20 Mb of virtual storage....
> Am I wrong or is my OS wrong ?

Dunno. But I can pass along a few rumors. I have heard that malloc alloc's
in chunks of powers of two. Thus, a 10Mb request may get rounded up to
16Mb. In fact, an 8Mb request might also, because of the malloc overhead.

Since Sun and Ultrix seem to do different things, it would seem that they
are using different policys. It is also possible that ps is lying and that
you are really only using 10Mb.

A workaround might be to keep the original 10Mb chunk around, and flag it
as being free, so that when you need it again, you just take it and flag
it as being used. Good luck.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement