Sun-Spots Digest, v6n36

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Wed Mar 23 09:07:26 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Tuesday, 22 March 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 36

Today's Topics:
                    Re: block.c and 1/2" 1600BPI dumps
                          Sun ordering stupidity
                              Dialback saga
                        spurious interrupts on ie1
                       Cure for swap space problems
         read/write(2) return incorrect byte count for tape reads
                  uudecode does not always protect files
                            Whining disk drive
          Producing a "fig"-ure on a Laserwriter or a Laserjet?
            MIP-512 or -1024 Image Processing board on a SUN?
                             BASIC for Sun 4?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
Recent backissues are stored on "titan.rice.edu".  For volume X, issue Y,
"get sun-spots/vXnY".  They are also accessible through the archive
server:  mail the word "help" to "archive-server at rice.edu".

Date:    Mon, 14 Mar 88 20:04:46 PST
From:    mangler at csvax.caltech.edu (Don Speck)
Subject: Re: block.c and 1/2" 1600BPI dumps

I just now obtained block.c from the Sun-Spots archives, and all it does
is pack a bunch of output into one write (which dd will do just as well).
There is no reason to use a filter for this - if all you want is a large
blocksize, use the "b" option of dump.  Be sure to specify the same
blocksize for restore.

Sun sells their 1600 bpi tape drive with a Ciprico Tapemaster controller.
It can't be streamed with that controller (I've tried very hard) because
it takes the driver too long to swap all the bytes and then swap them back
after the transfer.  (Well, maybe it will stream with uselessly small
blocksizes).

Using a large blocksize will speed things up a little, but on 1600 bpi
tape it's not good for reliability.  On a dropout, the drive will erase
3.5 inches of tape and try again, a limited number of times.  3.5 inches
is only 5600 bytes, you probably don't want the blocksize to be more than
a few of those so that you don't use up all of your retry limit just
skipping one block.  I personally wouldn't go beyond 16K (3 erasures).

What most people do for speed is port 4.3bsd dump.  (N.B. I have never
ported 4.3bsd dump from scratch).  Hopefully Sun will supply a better dump
in future releases.  The part that people usually have trouble with is
figuring out that ip->di_size needs to be rounded up to a multiple of
DEV_BSIZE (dev_bsize in later releases).

What I do is rdump to my vaxen, which have better tape drives.  With as
many machines as we have, rdump is a necessity anyway.

Don Speck   speck at vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,ames!elroy}!cit-vax!speck