Sun 4/260 upgrade to FPU2?

Ralph Finch ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 4 16:23:52 AEST 1989

I received a press release from Sun a few days ago about the floating
point upgrade available.  It will be standard on all new Sun 4 machines,
and for $3000 the Sun 4/110 can be upgraded.  When I inquired about the
cost for a Sun 4/260, I was told by the local rep that /260s cannot be
upgraded!  I quote him: "I imagine that at some point customer presser
[sic] may change this, however there is no guess as to when."

This seems strange that, 1) new /260s have the new unit but old ones
cannot be changed; 2) /110s can be fixed, but not the supposedly
near-flagship /260.

Is this information correct?  If so, is anybody else bothered by this?
What sort of customer pressure is needed to change the situation?

Ralph Finch
...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch