Problem with creating users with SNAP

Pat Lashley apple!kla!pat at decwrl.dec.com
Thu Apr 27 13:27:17 AEST 1989

mmorse at z.nsf.gov (Michael H. Morse) writes:

>I am having a problem with SNAP in that it no longer will create a user.
>I am running on the master yellow page server.  The message I receive is
>as follows:
>
>   The program cannot prepare changes to this user's
>   entries in the Yellow Pages database.
>
>I have tried a complete rebuild of the YP databases as suggested in the
>release notes for 4.0.1.  (I am running 4.0.2 pre-release.) The manual
>method described in 386i Advanced Administration and modified in the Admin
>release notes works just fine, so I know there's nothing obviously wrong
>with the data in YP.

I haven't found any documentation of exactly what SNAP expects/requires,
but here are a few things to check:

	1) Is there an existing entry or reference to that username in any of:
		a) /etc/ypaliases
		b) /etc/auto.home
		c) /etc/yppasswd
		3) /etc/ypgroup

	2) Does the primary group for that user have valid entries in all
	   of the above mentioned files ?  (You can further test for group
	   validity by attempting to modify the group entry.  i.e. add a
	   new default secondary group.)

	3) Does the home directory (/files/home/GROUPNAME/USERNAME) already
	   exist ?  (I think that this usually generates a different
	   message, but check -everything-.)

Hope that this helps...
-Pat

Copyright (c) 1989 PM Lashley under the terms of the GNU General Public License
PMLashley	...{sun | megatest | sts | zygot}!cohesive!kla!pat
<<< I haven't lost my mind.  It's backed up on tape somewhere... >>>