Exabyte Tape Drive Installation

Charles Williams chuck at wooglin.scc.com
Sat Apr 22 05:21:19 AEST 1989

First, thanks to everybody who responded to my request for help with the
exabyte drive.

Now, here's how I have everything installed.

1) Install the s/w patch tape that comes with the tape drive as per the
   instructions provided.

2) Shutdown the system

3) Install the internal to external SCSI connector.
	- remove the card cage plate from the internal to external SCSI
	  adaptor (the adaptor comes attatched to a back plate that could be
	  screwed into the system cabinet card cage.

	- remove the top and left (as you face the unit) panels from the
	  system cabinet

	- remove the SCSI terminators on the 1/4" 60Mb cartridge tape

            |                        ------------  |
            |                        |       ===|  |
            |                        |          |  |
            |                        |       ===|  |
            |                        ------------  |
       ------                                      |

	- The figure above is a side view of the 3/260 system cabinet. The
	  '='s show the location of the SCSI terminators (note the 1/4 tape
	  drive is iin front of the controller card.)

	- Run the head of the internal-external SCSI bus through the slot
          in the top of the system cabinet. Connect the head (making sure that
	  pin 1 matches pin 1 (the red stripes on the ribbon cable)).

	- Make sure the ribbon cable is laying flat across the top of the system
	  cabinet. Replace the side and top panels being sure not to fasten the
	  top panel screws too tight.

	- Place the SCSI adaptor on top of the system cabinet so it does not
	  block the fans.

4) Change the exabyte device address to st1.
	- remove the exabyte cover.

	- set DIP switches 1 and 3 to ON

5) Make sure all connections are correct.

6) Power up the Exabyte, waiting for both the red and green led's to light up.

7) Boot the Sun. Once the Sun boots the exabyte LED's should both be off
   (unless you have a tape loaded, in which case the green LED is on).

8) Be sure that st1 shows up in the boot messages. If not add it to your kernel
   and rebuild.

9) Make sure the /dev/rst1 and /dev/nrst1 exist. If not then:
	cd /dev
	MAKEDEV st1

10) test the drive.

Chuck Williams