Popup window version of rwall

Jean Marie Diaz jdiaz at oracle.com
Wed Apr 19 04:58:19 AEST 1989

>   From: steinmetz!sprite!montnaro at uunet.uu.net (Skip Montanaro)
>
>   Instead of the rwall user having to stick that stuff in though, I think
>   rwalld should be modified to realize what type of environment is being run
>   on each login session to which it will write messages. [...]
>
>   Is this bizarre, or what?

Yup, it's bizarre.  It also seems to be the wrong place to put such code.
After all, once you've finished rwalld, it'd be nice to have the same
capabilities in talk... and write... and biff... and any other application
that wants to notify you of events.

So, it seems that the right thing to do would be to write a notification
service, with a server that keeps track of where you are, and what kinds
of messages you want to see, and a client that shows the messages to you
using whatever window system you're using, and an interface to allow
applications to send messages, and....

Fortunately, it's already been written.  A paper on the Zephyr
Notification Service was published in the Winter '88 Usenix proceedings.
For more information, send mail to zephyr at athena.mit.edu.  (Not to me!)

Claimer:  I am merely a happy Zephyr user.

				   AMBAR
ambar at oracle.com				 {uunet,pyramid}!oracle!ambar