Problems with NFS Mounting and Netgroups

Steve Ackerman ackerman at kira.uvm.edu
Thu Apr 27 20:29:31 AEST 1989

We're having problems doing NFS mounting on our server (Sun 4/280 with Sun
OS 4.0 ).  Specifically, when we try to mount another system's exported
file system, we get the message:

 mount: remotehost:/ on /mnt: No such device
 mount: giving up on:
    /mnt

When a showmount is done on the remote host, the filesystem is shown as
mounted by the Sun 4 server, even though that mount fails.  The remote
host in this case is a Sun 3/280 running Sun OS 4.0.  We have no problems
mounting the server's disk from the Sun 3, or for that matter, mounting
the Sun 3's disk from other clients, but NFS mounting does not work on the
Sun 4 server.  Does anyone know why?

We're also trying to set up netgroups.  The man page says that these can
be used to disallow remote logins.  I've tried various things, but I'm not
getting very far in doing that.  Could someone send me an explanation of
what needs to be done?  I appreciate all help I can get with these two
questions.

Thanks!

Steve

Steven Ackerman, Systems Programmer      |  EMBA-CF University of Vermont
uunet!uvm-gen!ackerman                   |  Burlington, Vermont 05401
Internet: ackerman at uvm.edu               |  Telephone: (802) 879-0371