Sun-4 severe NFS problem

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Wed Apr 26 00:52:53 AEST 1989

Yup, your problem does sound like ours.  However the patch to redefine
splnet turned out not to be the solution.  (Harmless, but not the
solution.)  As far as we know, the problem happens only on Sun 4's, and
only on machiens with more than one Ethernet.  The problem is that the
second Ethernet interrupts at a different level than the first.  If you're
unlucky, one Ethernet can interrupt the other, and the queue management
can get messed up.  The fix we used requires source, though I think I
could fix it on a non-source machine if I had to.  I verified with a
friend inside Sun that the problem is known to Sun and has been fixed.
Ask the Hotline people for the new if_subr.o.  If you can't get the
Hotline to answer, I guess I could set things up to let you FTP if_subr.o
from us.  If you only have one Ethernet (or Ethernet-like device: FDDI,
802.X network interface, etc.), then this is probably a different problem.