More than one tar file on streamer

Ralph P. Sobek ralph at laas.laas.fr
Wed Apr 5 08:07:03 AEST 1989

mcvax!aivru.sheffield.ac.uk!chris at uunet.uu.net (Chris Brown) writes:

> One would imagine that a series of "tar cf /dev/nrst8 ..." commands would
> work but I have not reliably been able to space forward to later files on
> tapes written this way.

But they do work, for me!  I have a script which builds me a tar cassette
with only "tar cf /dev/nrst8 ..." and "cd" commands.  I have since been
able to extract from various positions on the tape.  This is under SunOS
3.5.  While getting this going, I did find out something, though.  If one
of the tar jobs aborted, there was a non negligible probability that the
next image would either be corrupted, or rst0 would complain with a
message that we never found in the documentation.  It seemed to create a
bad spot, and the only solution, that I found, was "mt -f /dev/rst8
erase"!!  REALLY!

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph at laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.