Problem with creating users with SNAP

Tim Voss tim at prism.llnl.gov
Thu Apr 27 13:36:28 AEST 1989

>>>I am having a problem with SNAP in that it no longer will create a user.
>>>I am running on the master yellow page server.  The message I receive is
>>>as follows:
>>>
>>>   The program cannot prepare changes to this user's
>>>   entries in the Yellow Pages database.
>>>
>>>I have tried a complete rebuild of the YP databases as suggested in the
>>>release notes for 4.0.1.  (I am running 4.0.2 pre-release.) The manual
>>>method described in 386i Advanced Administration and modified in the Admin
>>>release notes works just fine, so I know there's nothing obviously wrong
>>>with the data in YP.
>>>
>>>Has anybody seen this problem and solved it?
>>>
>>>--Mike
>>>
>>>Michael Morse                           Internet: mmorse at note.nsf.gov
>>>National Science Foundation               BITNET: mmorse at NSF

Yes - seen it. Worked around it!
I noticed that SNAP seems to get stuck in a funny state, where it has
trouble doing almost anything - creating users is just one example.
After some experimenting, I resolved the problems by:
	quiting SNAP (get the thing out of memory)
	restarting SNAP.

Here's one other little discovery:

	DON'T use the group 'Wheel' if you are going to add users!

	i.e. If you are a member of the wheel group, and you try to add
	a new user (via SNAP) - that user's home directory does NOT
	get exported ! (Who knows what-else might be wrong with
	the new acct you create.  I noticed other problems which will
	plague users added in this way).
	Bottom line:  DON'T use the group 'Wheel' for SNAP administration.

--Tim Voss
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
tim at prism.llnl.gov