program to read NBS time

smb at arpa.att.com smb at arpa.att.com
Wed Apr 26 09:42:31 AEST 1989

 > Looking for a program that will dial up and read the time from National
 > Bureau Standard and then set the local computer clock..

 This might be harder than you think, unless you have a special number for
 NBS.

Dial 303-494-4774, at 1200 baud.  I've heard there's supposed to be
a 900 number, but I don't know what it is.  900-555-1212 says that
900-410-8463 is the Naval Observatory, but I don't know if it's voice
or data; my modem didn't connect just now, but the switch here may be
programmed to disallow 900 numbers.

The Heath Most Accurate Clock can be problematic; reception isn't
always that good in computer rooms, and a decent antenna seems to
be essential.