Exabyte tape drive installation

Craig LeRoy Petty craigp at summus.UUCP
Thu Apr 27 15:35:53 AEST 1989

In article <8903292255.AA16698 at rice.edu>, BEGEMAN at MCOIARC.BITNET writes:
> I took out
> the existing board in slot 7 of the Sun and placed the TTi board in (which
> I then tried to reboot the system, and
> it gets to the point of printing "Auto-Boot in progress" and then just
> hangs there forever.

Summus ships an enhanced version of the same controller/driver with its
2.3GB product (that is, the "Gigatape" :-) ) so the installation procedure
should be the same if TTI hasn't modified it.

We do not recommend that you remove the original SCSI board (I'm not even
sure if the system could boot off the other SCSI). There is no reason they
cannot both exist in the same system.  Try rebooting, but this time put
the original SCSI board back in its slot, and the new one in any available
slot.  Be sure to remove the backplane jumpers (BUS GRANT 3 and IACK) for
that slot.

It should atleast boot properly now.  If the system doesn't detect the
controller double check your config file. It should include something
like:

controller rfsdc0 at vme16d32 ? csr 0x???? priority vector rfsdintr 0xF8
tape rfsd0 at rfsdc0 drive 40 flags 0x211
(the csr shouxld be a valid vme address not in use, and set properly on
the SCSI board)

This is assuming they left the naming conventions intact, that the Exabyte
is the only device on the bus, and that the Exabyte target id is set to 5.
You will have to consult your installation guide for other configurations.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.  In short, don't replace the original
SCSI!

Good Luck

Craig Petty                   uucp: uunet!summus!craigp  (for fun & frolic)
Summus Computer Systems             uunet!summus!info    (for product info &
17171 Park Row	                   	                   support)
Houston TX 77084
1-713-492-6611