printer recommendation for small Sun network

Anthony A. Datri aad at stepstone.com
Sat Apr 22 06:42:16 AEST 1989

>eli at chipcom.com (chipcom!eli at spdcc.com) writes:
>>hi -- what sort of printer would you recommend for a small network of Sun
>>3s (4 workstations, 2 with disk)?

>Get a PostScript printer.

Ditto.  My predecessors decided to buy lots of Interleaf, and I think at
that time Interleaf wouldn't print to anything but an Imagen, so they
bought an Imagen.  I can't even figure out a way to specify a non-default
point size.  PostScript is a big win.  Sun sells (or at least used to)
repackaged Laserwriters, and they developed NeWS.  With the upcoming
X11/NeWS server, I'll bet PostScript integrates neatly.  Transcript is a
nice package to drive the printer, but there are also cheaper and free
alternatives out there, but I can't say more because I haven't seen them
running.

>My recommendation is a LaserWriter IINTX.

I'd recommend a LaserWriter as well.  If you budget's tight, a used LW+
might be a good idea.  Beware that the SC model *isn't PostScript*, so it
should be avoided for your application.

I've heard that Interleaf's PS support uses LW-specific code.  GRRRRRRRR.
Our Imagen dealer tried to sell us Imagen's UltraScript for our printer,
but we could buy a whole new LaserWriter for what they wanted to charge
us.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)