Organisation-wide uids

Don Libes libes at cme.nbs.gov
Sat Apr 22 13:46:13 AEST 1989

mcvax!etive.ed.ac.uk!keith at uunet.uu.net (K Farvis) writes:
>brings with it the spectre of having a unique uid for all University
>users.  As well as the fact that the uid range may not be sufficient for
>our needs, we would have to change all our current machines (and archive
>files) to use these new values.

I can't help you with the problem of range, but I can help you with the
other problem.  I wrote a program, called "pwdiff", which checks multiple
passwd files for uid/name overlap, for exactly the reasons you describe.

It just got to our site yesterday (3/28) from rsalz's comp.source.unix
distribution (v18i068).  (Although I submitted it last June!)

Don Libes          libes at cme.nbs.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes