Booting from SCSI drive at address 1 vs. 0

Mark Pizzolato 415-369-9366 lupine!infopiz!mark at uunet.uu.net
Sat Apr 8 01:50:31 AEST 1989

We've got lots of Sun 3/60s and LOTS more SCSI disk drives.  From time to
time it has been desirable to boot Sun OS 3.x from a SCSI disk whose SCSI
address is other than 0.  We have been totally unsuccessful with regard to
achieving this result.  Any ideas?

This is what we have tried:

	1) I build a kernel who's root and swap are on sd2a and sd2b
	   respectively, where 'sd2' is defined in the config file as:
		disk sd2 at si0 drive 8 flags 0
	2) I made a file system on sd2a and put a root file system there
	   that boots (the original kernel) fine if the SCSI address of the
	   drive is 0.  I put the new (sd2) kernel on this root file system
	   named vmunix.
	3) I set up the drive as SCSI address 1 (with or with out SCSI address
	   0 being around) and properly terminate the SCSI bus and attempt a
	   boot with the following command:

		>b sd(0,8,0)

	4) This seems to be the correct way to address a drive at SCSI address
	   1 on a Sun 3/60, since I get the following responses:

		>b sd(0,8,0)
		Boot: sd(0,8,0)
		Load: sd(0,8,0)boot
		Boot: sd(0,8,0)vmunix

	     But then NADA!

Note:	The same drive WILL boot fine at SCSI address 1 on a Sun 3/50 with
	the following boot sequence:

		>b sd(0,4,0)
		Boot: sd(0,4,0)
		Load: sd(0,4,0)boot
		Boot: sd(0,4,0)vmunix
		Sizes: nnnn, etc. . . . .

	Both my customer and myself would appreciate any hints at solving this
	dilemma.  Thanks in advance.

Mark Pizzolato - INFO COMM Computer Consulting, Redwood City, Ca. (415)369-9366
		 UUCP: mark at infopiz.UUCP  or   ...uunet!lupine!infopiz!mark