Possible to run in.named and run YP?

Warren Lavallee ginosko!lavallee at uunet.uu.net
Wed Apr 19 12:22:14 AEST 1989

Does anyone know if it is possible to run the nameserver under YP?  When
yp is running, all the gethost* calls go through YP, even though the
nameserver is running.  We have a Sun 3/260 running Sun OS 4.0.1.  Anybody
have any ideas on how to tell the system to ask the namesever intead of
YP?

					- Warren Lavallee
INTERNET:  lavallee at samsung.com
UUCP:      {decvax!{gsg,cg-atla},uunet,ulowell}!ginosko!lavallee
US MAIL:   Samsung Software America. One Corporate Dr.  Andover, Ma.  01810

[[ Get the Bind distribution tape from Sun.  It contains a "fixed" version
of ypserv called "ypserv.share".  Replace ypserv on all your YP masters
and slaves with this copy.  Then change /var/yp/Makefile so that the
"makedbm" line for the two host databases ("hosts.byaddr" and
"hosts.byname") include the "-b" option (as in "$(MAKEDBM) -b").  Then
touch /etc/hosts and remake.  The "-b" option flags the database in such a
way that ypserv knows to use the name resolver if there is no match in the
database.  BUT:  you MUST use the fixed version of ypserv.  The one
distributed with 4.0.1 had a serious bug in it that made your yp servers
useless after a time.  I have gond this route (using the fixed ypserv) and
it works *great*.  Sun has finally incorporated the network name resolver
into the system!  --wnl ]]