program to read NBS time

Glenn P. Davis davis at groucho.ucar.edu
Thu Apr 27 17:35:09 AEST 1989

chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:

>> Looking for a program that will dial up and read the time from National
>> Bureau Standard and then set the local computer clock..

The way NCAR does it, I believe, is with a WWV Radio. This is looks like a
spendy item.  I don't have details, but the NSFNet hubs seem to have them
in conjuction with their fuzzballs.

Jeff Forys (forys at boulder.colorado.edu) wrote a program called 'settime'
that allows one to Query the fuzzball to get the time.  It takes
transmission times into account and is 'pretty neat'.

This actually works with any machine with the network time server
configured in, we just query the fuzzball because it's hooked up to the
WWV clock.

Glenn P. Davis	davis at unidata.ucar.edu
UCAR / Unidata
PO Box 3000                   1685 38th St.
Boulder, CO 80307-3000        Boulder, CO  80301

(303) 497 8643