SunWrite (etc) stepping on ISV toes

David Collier-Brown geaclib!daveb at uunet.uu.net
Sat Apr 22 00:18:28 AEST 1989

taylor at hplabs.hp.com (Dave Taylor):
> I was quite interested to see the announcement from Sun Microsystems at
> UniForum of their trio of SunWrite, SunDraw and SunPaint.
> [...]
> One thing I can't help thinking about, though, is that the third party
> companies like Interleaf and Frame must be pretty unhappy

I'm not sure what the company's official position is likely to be, but I
will comment on the positioning of Interleaf and MacPaint...

Interleaf has a standard filter for reading MacPaint documents into
interleaf. One can often draw pictures better with picture-drawing tools
than a typesetting package.  Not unexpectedly, one can typeset better with
a typesetting package.

That one can draw reasonable things (line drawings, simple isometric
"blueprints") with the package you use to typeset your 9-volume
maintenance manual is a usefull bonus.

 --dave (horses for courses, you see) c-b

DISCLAIMER: I work for Interleaf Canada.  I do not speak for them.
	    The president does that.
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |