XON/XOFF (was Re: hp plotter)

Gordon W. Ross gwr at gomez.uucp
Wed Aug 23 22:38:41 AEST 1989

In article <721 at brazos.Rice.edu> joes at islsun5.mse.lehigh.edu (Joe Sieczkowski) writes:

>I was never able to get XON/XOFF to work proberly with my NEC LC 890
>PostScript printer.  I'm running Sun version 3.5.  It seems like the sun
>never sees the ^S from the printer.  My final solution was to set the
>printer at 1200 baud .... ie spoon feed it.
[...]
>Joe

Your problem is most likely the printer not sending XOFF.  I see no
problem with your printcap entry.  I'm not sure if it will help, but I've
included the printcap entry we use on our HP pen plotter which needs
XON/XOFF to run at 9600 bps.

#
# HP pen plotter, connected locally
#
hp|hpplotter|hp7550A|Hewlett-Packard pen plotter in 1E404:\
	:lp=/dev/tty02:sd=/usr/spool/hp:\
	:lf=/usr/spool/hp/log:af=/usr/spool/hp/acct:\
	:br#9600:fc#0377:fs#0221:mx#0:\
	:rw:sh:sb:fo:\
	:ff=\033.J\033.P1\:\033.T\:\nPG;\n:\
	:of=/usr/local/lib/vp/hpfilter:
#

Note that the HP 7750A can be programmed to use XON/XOFF by sending the
sequence "\033.P1:" or by front panel selections.

Gordon W. Ross    gwr at gomez.mitre.org    (617) 271-3205 (daytime)
The MITRE Corp. (M/S E025)  Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730