magic limits on -root= option in /etc/exports

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Wed Aug 16 00:57:11 AEST 1989

In article <378 at brazos.Rice.edu> ekrell at ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell) writes:

>This applies to SunOS 4.0.3
>
>I just found out that there's a magic limit of 10 hosts in the "root="
>option in /etc/exports (this lists the hosts to which root access is
>granted). According to the man page for exports(5), you have to list the
>host names (you can't use netgroups, for instance).
>
>It's bad enough that one has to list all the hosts, but 10 is an arbitrary
>(and too small) limit. How do sites with lots of Suns deal with this? Is
>there a workaround?

Each diskless client should have its own root and swap partition. On your
server, create one or more disk partitions large enough to hold all of the
roots your clients need. It should be /export/roots.  Now in this
partition, create subdirectories for each client, usually naming the
subdir the name the client machine.  Now you export each subdirectory with
a seperate line in your exports file.

If you need more detail, email me.

Russ Poffenberger
Schlumberger Technologies