Summary of CD-ROM info request responses

Bill Selig selig at xanth.msfc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 1 04:27:08 AEST 1989

Here is a summary of responses to my request for information from the
community on CD-ROM usage/availability. Not all responses are included
since there was some duplication. I also edited out some of the duplicate
material in the included responses for brevity.

The most commonly mentioned system was from Delta Microsystems.
Their info is:

	Delta Microsystems, Inc.
	5039 Preston Ave.
	Livermore, CA  94550
	(415) 449-6881
	Tech contact: Roger Stager

===== Comments from responders using that drive =====

We've got a CDROM reader w/driver from Delta Microsystems that's running
just fine on a Sun 3/160 under 4.0.1. The disk looks like a read-only
UNIX file system.

We currently have a CD-ROM drive on evaluation loan from Delta
Microsystems.
  I had it installed on a Sun3/50 running SunOS 3.5, with DM's optical
disk device driver (they also sell WORM drives), and it worked like a
charm for the DARPA TIMIT (speech database) disk we've got.  The DM
software even includes a virtual filesystem module which allows you to
mount any High Sierra format CD-ROM disk and access it as a normal Unix
filesystem -- pretty slick.
  There is a glitch in getting it to work on our Sun4/110 with SunOS
4.0 (not 4.0.1), but DM is working on that as I type.  My other
experience with DM (an Exabyte 8mm tape drive + software) has been
positive -- they do seem responsive so far.

We have recently purchased a CD-ROM and have it running on a Sun 3/60.
I have used 3 discs - 2 from JPL and one from NODC.  I have not had any
trouble with it yet.  The biggest problem seems to be most accompanying
software is designed for an IBM-PC.  I am currently looking into
options for this.  I have ordered Dos windows from Sun to see if it
will see the CD as a Dos disk.  I have also ordered PC-NFS, since the
CD supports NFS mounts.

We purchased the CD-ROM from a third party supplier:
    Lynn Mormann (508) 359-2423
    Peripheral Devices Corporation
    P.O. Box 388
    Medfield, MA 02052

The CD-ROM was manufactured by Delta Microsystems.  They have been very
helpful.  The reader was relatively expensive (>$2000.), but has
performed perfectly.  The driver supports the ISO High Sierra format,
and seems to be compatible with ISO standard 9660.

===== from or about Sun, the company =====
Bill, a driver and ISO-9660/High Sierra file system is available.
Contact Sun's "Consulting Specials" group in Mountain View.
The administrator is Lisa Ventresca at 415-336-1091.

I believe that Sun will be releasing a CD-ROM driver and
VFS interface in October of this year.

===== other responders =====
I've seen SCSI CD-ROM readers in use with Suns as the CD-ROM conference
two years ago.  (The Microsoft-sponsered one.)  I don't know exactly how
you find out about them, but I would ask around in the CD-ROM community
first.  (Try Reference Technology in Boulder, CO.  We've done a lot of work
with them.  They're PC-oriented, but may know about work going on for Suns.)
Also, there is a Mac CD-ROM reader which is SCSI.  I'm sure somebody with
some time could make use of that.

Hope this helps folks. Thanks to EVERYONE who responded.
US MAIL:        Bill Selig NASA/MSFC ES53
                Huntsville, Al 35812 USA
TPC:            (205)-544-7608
FTS:            824-7608

SPAN:           sam::selig
INTERNET:       selig at xanth.msfc.nasa.gov [128.158.1.31]
                selig%sam.span at fedex.msfc.nasa.gov
BITNET:         selig%sam.span at star.stanford.edu
UUCP:           uunet!selig at sam.SPAN  -OR-  uunet!sam.span!selig