How to deal with trashed fstabs

Alex Dupuy dupuy at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Aug 22 06:20:21 AEST 1989

> I made a /minibin and put a "survival kit" in it. ...  I picked cat, cp, dd,
> ed, ls, mv, ps, rm, and stty.

% file -L /bin/{cat,cp,dd,ed,ls,mv,ps,rm,stty}
/bin/cat:       sparc pure dynamically linked executable
/bin/cp:        sparc pure dynamically linked executable
/bin/dd:        sparc pure dynamically linked executable
/bin/ed:        sparc demand paged dynamically linked executable
/bin/ls:        sparc pure dynamically linked executable
/bin/mv:        sparc demand paged executable
/bin/ps:        sparc pure dynamically linked set-gid executable
/bin/rm:        sparc pure dynamically linked executable
/bin/stty:      sparc pure dynamically linked executable

I hope all your programs in /minibin are statically linked, otherwise, you
had better set up a /minilib with a copy of libc.so.* and ld.so so you can
do runtime linking.

Personally, why bother with anything you can do using sh?  The only thing
I would want in a /minibin would be restore.  Everything else which can't
be done with I/O redirection and builtin echo isn't critical in
single-user mode.

% file /usr/etc/restore
/usr/etc/restore:       sparc demand paged executable

@alex