X toolkits and standards : what's best to use ?

Jeremy Stephenson mari!jrs at uunet.uu.net
Mon Aug 21 20:31:57 AEST 1989

We're looking to develop a graphically - based product using X11 as the
base windowing system (on a 3/60), and since we already have a prototype
running under NeWS, our lead time should (hopefully) be fairly short, ie
the next couple of months or so should see us starting this
implementation.  Unfortunately, there are lots of things we still don't
know:

If we wanted to get hold of the OSF/Motif stuff for evaluation purposes,
where could we get it from ?  All I've seen are PR-style press releases.
Are there any sources in the UK/Europe ?

What is the current status of the Sun Open Look X toolkit (last heard of
in Beta test) ?  Is it stable; do people like it ? (We think we can get
hold of this by pestering our Sun salesman).

Our other option is to go for something we already have (but have only
minimal experience in using), which is InterViews. We're a little wary of
this option since the package lacks support and documentation, but it does
look pretty good otherwise- reports/warnings to the contrary would be
useful (we'd like to avoid getting burned !).

One thing that isn't clear to me (and might be interesting to everybody),
is just who's using what in the world of X development. Has anybody
forsaken toolkits altogether for the raw system, perhaps ? Are people
forming factions along OSF vs AT&T lines ?

Answers to these plus any general points in this area welcome.

    Jeremy Stephenson.

email: jrs at mari.uucp (in the UK jrs at uk.co.mari)
UUCP: ..!mcvax!ukc!mari!jrs
phone: (+44) (0) 91 490 1515
snail mail: MARI Applied Technologies Ltd, MARI House, Old Town Hall,
            Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, NE8 1HE, UK.